Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:03:27 +0100

    >> What I'm looking for is some way of simulating a --create-frame
    >> option and then calling emacsclient/gnuclient --create-frame
    >> FILE

    Stefan> Since server.el and emacsclient.c do not offer any way to
    Stefan> add new options like --create-frame, your best bet is
    Stefan> probably something like

    Stefan>   emacsclient --eval '(find-file-other-frame "FILE")'

    Yes, this opens up a new frame, but then I am loosing the
    [+line-number] option of gnu/emacsclient. My problem started when
    writing with LaTeX in Emacs, previewing with xdvi: With the
    inverse search feature, switching between a line in the document
    and the preview of this part of your document is possible. So I
    wouldn't want to loose the line-number information or open up a new
    frame every time I switch. But in other cases---say when clicking
    on a "mailto:"-tag in my web-browser, I want a new frame for
    composing an email.

    Stefan> But maybe you have a point that it should be possible to
    Stefan> add new options, kind of like what is done with
    Stefan> `command-switch-alist'.

    After some testing I think gnuclient's option to set "gnuserv-frame"
    to "gnuserv-visible-frame-function", which is opening a new frame
    only if there isn't one already opened on your (virtual) screen
    and is using the visible frame otherwise, is my preferred
    solution. Alas, this is not working even with emacsclient from CVS.

    On the other hand, I think emacsclient's approach of taking either
    file and line number arguments *or* evaluating lisp expressions is
    cleaner than gnuclients -f and -e options for executing a function
    or evaluating lisp together with file arguments---you never now
    what is done first.

    So I wouldn't add options to emacsclient, but having convenience
    lisp functions for the problems above would be nice.

    Stefan>         Stefan

    Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at