Re: How make function to run a shell command ON BUFFER??

From: Dan Anderson
Subject: Re: How make function to run a shell command ON BUFFER??
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:56:00 GMT

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:

> pychecker is a function that checks Python code..
>
> e.g.
>
> pychecker myprogram.py
>

> How make an Emacs function to run pychecker on buffer???

        C-x  h marks  the entire  buffer.  M-|  lets you  run  a shell
command on the marked region.  So C-x h M-| pychecker RET should do it
for you.

        I'd suggest  creating a macro  or lisp function but  I've been
having problems  myself with doing  something similar in  Perl.  Emacs
hides  the output from  the shell  command --  which makes  running my
buffer through Perl to check for syntax errors problematic.

-Dan