Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:02:19 +0100

    >> gnuserv-visible-frame-function on the other hand is frame
    >> oriented. If there is no frame on my virtual screen, one pops
    >> up, even if the file is already displayed in another buffer.

    Stefan> You mean it will reuse a pre-existing window and change
    Stefan> the buffer displayed in that window ?  In that case
    Stefan> indeed, pop-to-buffer might not be what you want, but I
    Stefan> don't understand when a frame is going to be opened, then,
    Stefan> unless you're thinking of a multiple-X-server situation,
    Stefan> in which case the --display argument of emacsclient should
    Stefan> be what you want (although it's only be lightly tested).

    No, I only mean a GNU/Linux box with a windowmanager which gives
    me multiple virtual desktops (LarsWM, 4 virtual desktops).

    Stefan> Or do you mean that if the buffer is already displayed in
    Stefan> a window but on another display, then pop-to-buffer fails
    Stefan> to open a new window/frame on the right display ?  That
    Stefan> might be: there are many such bugs in a multiple-display
    Stefan> situation.  Please report such problems to gnu.emacs.bug
    Stefan> via M-x report-emacs-bug.

    No, I think pop-to-buffer/pop-up-frame is working as advertised,
    it's just not what I want---or I haven't figured out how to
    configure it right for my needs.

    >> (defun my-xemacs-info-other-frame ()
    >> "my-xemacs-info-other-frame" (interactive) (let (gnuserv-frame)
    >> (info)))

    >> I can call gnuclient -eval "(my-xemacs-info-other-frame)" and a
    >> frame pops up even if *INFO* is displayed in another frame.

    Stefan> But I can't easily check what the above code does: are you
    Stefan> trying to force the creation of a new frame that shows the
    Stefan> same *info* buffer a second time on the same display or is
    Stefan> it on a separate display ?

    On XEmacs, this function forces the creation of a new frame that
    shows the *info* buffer on the virtual desktop I am looking
    at---and yes, if another frame somewhere else is displaying *info*
    too, I end up having two frames displaying *info*.

    Stefan>         Stefan

    Again, thanks for taking your time to figure out what I mean.

    Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

HERE  is  Edward  Bear, coming downstairs
now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his
head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as
far  as he knows, the  only way of coming
downstairs,  but sometimes  he feels that
there  is  another way,  if only he could
stop  bumping  for a  moment and think of
it.  And then he feels that perhaps there
isn't.  Anyhow, here he is at the bottom,
and   ready  to  be  introduced  to  you.
Winnie-the-Pooh.

A.A. Milne: Winnie-the-Pooh