Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gnu/emacs client --create-frame somehow?
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:10:33 GMT

>     No, I only mean a GNU/Linux box with a windowmanager which gives
>     me multiple virtual desktops (LarsWM, 4 virtual desktops).

Well, I don't know of any standard way for the window-manager to tell
clients about the existence of such virtual workspaces, so from
Emacs's point of view, those don't exist.

My window-manager (ctwm) automatically brings a window into the current
workspace if an application asks for its window to be de-iconified.

This means that for me pop-to-buffer in your example will cause the *info*
frame to be brought into the current workspace.

>     No, I think pop-to-buffer/pop-up-frame is working as advertised,
>     it's just not what I want---or I haven't figured out how to
>     configure it right for my needs.

Maybe you can get your window-manager to do its part.

>     On XEmacs, this function forces the creation of a new frame that
>     shows the *info* buffer on the virtual desktop I am looking
>     at---and yes, if another frame somewhere else is displaying *info*
>     too, I end up having two frames displaying *info*.

Ah, so you're working around a limitation of your window manager (or maybe
a limitation in Emacs w.r.t understanding what your window-manager does) by
forcing the creation of a new frame no-matter-what.
Of course, you can do that as well with emacsclient.
E.g. something like (100% guaranteed non-tested code):

   emacsclient --eval '(progn (select-frame (make-frame)) (info))'

-- Stefan