System-wide problem with backup files

From: Nancy McDermott
Subject: System-wide problem with backup files
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:07:54 -0600

We use emacs 21.2.1 on Tru64 and Linux servers. Recently (and we don't know exactly when), the backup files have not been updating properly. It only saves the original backup file, but no other changes when the file is edited subsequently. We haven't upgraded emacs for over a year so we haven't changed emacs itself recently. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Your help would be very much appreciated as the problem is affecting a lot of our users. Thanks.

Nancy McDermott, Director
Social Science Computing Cooperative
University of Wisconsin - Madison
1180 Observatory Drive