emacs cvs over ssh question

From: David B
Subject: emacs cvs over ssh question
Date: 05 Dec 2003 16:05:37 -0500

Hi

I am trying to use the CVS functionality in emacs on Linux (RedHat 9).
I can connect to my repository over SSH and perform all tasks from the
shell, but when I try to do the same tasks from the emacs menu, I get
errors.

Error number one:
Message: ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Message: Write failed: Broken pipe

This is resolved by installing X11-ssh-askpass, but this then leads to
a second error relating to failed authentification keys (cant remember
exact sytax- on a different box at the moment)

ssh version is
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f

emacs version is
21.2

I have searched the web quite extensively, and have found many
pointers that suggest that cvs over ssh is possible in emacs, however
there is no concrete documentation in the pertinent places (emacs FAQ,
pcl_cvs faq, openssh.org), and the snippets that I have gained from
browsing google are promising but incomplete.

So- how does emacs access remote cvs repositories that use ssh
authentification?

Dave