Re: emacs cvs over ssh question

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 01:34:41 +0200

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:05:37PM -0500, David B wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use the CVS functionality in emacs on Linux (RedHat 9).
> I can connect to my repository over SSH and perform all tasks from the
> shell, but when I try to do the same tasks from the emacs menu, I get
> errors.
>
> Error number one:
> Message: ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or
> directory
> Message: Write failed: Broken pipe
>
> This is resolved by installing X11-ssh-askpass, but this then leads to
> a second error relating to failed authentification keys (cant remember
> exact sytax- on a different box at the moment)
>
> ssh version is
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
>
> emacs version is
> 21.2
>
> I have searched the web quite extensively, and have found many
> pointers that suggest that cvs over ssh is possible in emacs, however
> there is no concrete documentation in the pertinent places (emacs FAQ,
> pcl_cvs faq, openssh.org), and the snippets that I have gained from
> browsing google are promising but incomplete.
>
> So- how does emacs access remote cvs repositories that use ssh
> authentification?

Don't know if that is the solution you want, but you could try setting
up ssh authentication using rsa keys instead of a password, that way you
won't have to give a password (this is what I do, but I havn't tested it
with emacs yet. I'm also not using the standard ssh port, which makes
things even harder).