Re: How to pronouncd "Emacs"?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How to pronouncd "Emacs"?
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:30:26 GMT

In article <s38ptffrxki.fsf@supinum.ling.uu.se>,
 bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) wrote:

> Anyway, I wouldn't say that any of the dictionaries are authorities on
> actual usage. (Even if EE-MAKS is probably one of the more common).

I've been using Emacs for 24 years, I learned it where it was created,
and I've heard RMS speak about it.  I've never heard it pronounced
anything other than EE-MAKS.  In fact, this is the first time I can
recall anyone questioning the pronunciation.  Perhaps if the name were
derived from something like EMulator ACtorS, EM-AKS would be a
reasonable pronunciation.  But since the E and M are from different
words, it makes most sense for it to be treated like E-Macs.  Even
though the E is short in the original word, it becomes long when used in
an abbriviation (like the "i" in many Internet-related services and
products that are called "i<Something>").

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA