make-auto-save-file-name: not using name transforms for mere buffers

From: Florian von Savigny
Subject: make-auto-save-file-name: not using name transforms for mere buffers
Date: 10 Dec 2003 17:07:36 +0100

Hi,

I am using Linux on a home directory that is physically identical with
a vfat partition (don't discuss this please; I am well aware it's
technically markedly inferior, but I nevertheless have my reasons).

I also like the auto-save feature and have also switched it on for
buffers not visiting files. However, whenever I am writing a mail,
emacs tries to save it into an auto-save file with asterisks in its
name, which doesn't work since this is a forbidden character on VFAT.

I have tried customising auto-save-file-name-transforms, but this does
not work, apparently because make-auto-save-file-name only uses it if
the buffer is visiting a file (does anybody know why on earth?).

Is there any standard way to make make-auto-save-file-name use it also
for buffer names, or do I simply have to hack the function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.