Re: GNU.org is down

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU.org is down
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:57:35 +0200

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: David Steuber <david.steuber@verizon.net>
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:05:23 GMT
>
> Well this sucks big time I must say.
>
> There seems to be no ETA on the CVS repository being fully restored.
> I guess those things are hard to guage in a situation like this.
>
> When CVS is fully restored, will I have to use SSH in the future?

You misunderstood, I think: first, anon CVS will continue to be
available; and second, it is _already_ available.  (That is, people
can check-out files, but the maintainers still cannot check-in new
code.)  Perhaps the Savannah staff didn't update their Web pages to
that effect yet.

> I've been doing the following:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
>
> I'm pretty sure I have not been using SSH as I only do checkouts and
> don't have an account.  I've never done CVS via SSH so far as I know.

You won't need to.  Anon CVS is limited to read-only access to the CVS
tree, and as such, its security requirements are much lower than for
people who want write access.