Installation Question

From: exits funnel
Subject: Installation Question
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:35:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

This is probably more of a general linux/unix question
than an EMACS question but here goes:  I've been using
emacs 20.7.1 on RedHat linux 7.2 for sometime now and
I just decided to upgrade to a newer EMACS version.  I
downloaded the 21.3.1 source from gnu.org and ran
configure and make without any problem.  I tested the
resulting binary which worked fine.  I then ran make
install which proceeded without error.  The result
seems to be that the new version is resting in
/usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path
so when I try to run emacs I'm still getting the old
one.  I realize I could swap the order of the
directories in my path but I'm wondering what the
conventional solution is?  Should I just remove the
version in /usr/local/bin?  What's the difference
between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin anyway?  Should
the install script have copied 21.3 to /usr/local/bin?
 Sorry for the rambling post but I just want to make
sure I have everything in the right place :)

-exits