Re: Installation Question

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Installation Question
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:37:51 -0600

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> The result seems to be that the new version is resting in
> /usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path so when I try
> to run emacs I'm still getting the old one.  I realize I could swap
> the order of the directories in my path but I'm wondering what the
> conventional solution is?  Should I just remove the version in
> /usr/local/bin?

No, that's the one you want to be running.  One potential approach-
not saying this is the correct or best one- is to change the name of
/usr/bin/emacs (e.g., 'mv /usr/bin/emacs old.emacs') and then create a
link in /usr/bin called 'emacs' that links to /usr/local/bin/emacs
which is your shiny new version. I don't know the correct syntax for
this in Linux, it's a little different than in BSDish Unixen IIRC.

> What's the difference between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin anyway?
> Should the install script have copied 21.3 to /usr/local/bin?

/usr/bin is for system-installed binaries, whereas /usr/local/bin is
for user install binaries (or so I've been told).  Often 'make
install' puts new software in /usr/local/bin to avoid overwriting the
old software.