Re: a couple of novice questions

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: a couple of novice questions
Date: 12 Dec 2003 18:22:47 +0100

edelman@umbc.edu (Mitch Edelman) writes:

> apologies for newbie question - using Xemacs (for windows)how does one
> display the line number of the file currently being edited?

M-x line-number-mode RET

> Secondly, how does one find a matching opening brace, paren, etc?

It's  automatic. When  you  close a  paren,  the cursor  moves to  the
matching  opening paren.   Or, if  you double-click  on one  paren, it
selects all  its contents and  the matching paren  too. Or if  you use
backward-sexp or forward-sexp (C-c , or C-c .), it moves over matching
paren.

> Finally, in editing a document where it's reasonable for "<" to
> be unpaired (as in javascript code inside an html document), how
> does one find the opening prace, paren, etc.

I don't  think modes can be  defined locally.  In these  cases, I just
change the major mode.  It may help to use narrow-region and widen.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                              .  *   * . * .* .
http://www.informatimago.com/                        .   *   .   .*