Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:04:42 -0700

Pepijn Kenter wrote:

When loged in as user1 type:
su user2
emacs file.pro # edit, exit and save the changes
emacs file.pro # file.pro is now read only.

I can not edit file.pro the second time because it is apperently locked by user2 (as shown in the status line? of emacs). File permissions are correct and the onwner of file.pro (still) is user2.

After some googling I think the possible cause is that emacs is inconsistent in the way it handles the USER and LOGNAME variables. Indeed USER is set to user2 whereas LOGNAME is still user1. When I change LOGNAME to user2 the problem disappears.

So, what to do?

If you want a login shell as user2, use `su - user2`.

--
Kevin Rodgers