Re: Emacs on OS X Panther

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X Panther
Date: 15 Dec 2003 16:17:03 +0100

SV> recently I've downloaded Mac-Emacs Version 21.3.50.1 from
SV> http://www.mindlube.com/products/emacs/. It installed fine on my iBook OS X
SV> 10.3 (Panther). Meanwhile, I could convince it to accept German Umlaute
SV> characters type and display correctly (many thanks to Patrick Gundlach) by
SV> adding these two lines into my .emacs:

SV> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'mac-roman)
SV> (custom-set-variables
SV>   '(default-frame-alist (quote ((tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 1)
SV>   (font . "-etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-mac")))))

SV> To make it short, sometimes when opening files edited with BBEdit 7 it
SV> falls to it's old strange behavior with neither displaying nor accepting
SV> German Umlaute types ;-(. Then, characters like öäüß (oau with double dots
SV> above and SS) are display with upgrave, promille, cyrillic comma and
SV> ligatur fl or even squares and other embarrassing stuff.

That means BBEdit is saving your files as latin-1 (or latin-9 maybe) and
emacs is loading it as mac-roman. So you have to decide which character
set you want to use and teach both BBEdit and emacs to assume this.
Supposing that you want latin-9 (also called iso-8859-15) because it
contains the Euro sign, put the following in your .emacs:

(prefer-coding-system 'latin-9)

Actually I personally think utf-8 is a better choice but then BBEdit should
also be told to do that.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl