Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS

From: Pepijn Kenter
Subject: Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:44:47 +0100

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Pepijn Kenter wrote:

When loged in as user1 type:
su user2
emacs file.pro # edit, exit and save the changes
emacs file.pro # file.pro is now read only.

I can not edit file.pro the second time because it is apperently locked by user2 (as shown in the status line? of emacs). File permissions are correct and the onwner of file.pro (still) is user2.

After some googling I think the possible cause is that emacs is inconsistent in the way it handles the USER and LOGNAME variables. Indeed USER is set to user2 whereas LOGNAME is still user1. When I change LOGNAME to user2 the problem disappears.

So, what to do?

If you want a login shell as user2, use `su - user2`.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that, but then my DISPLAY environment variable is not set so I can not use the graphical emacs. I can, of course, set DISPLAY manually but it would be a nuisance to do that every time I log in as user2.

It's not quit clear to me when I should use a login shell and when not. IMO the bash documentation only explaines the differences, not why the different shells exist.

I'm guessing the solution will involve tweeking my system, not my emacs settings, so I probably should go to another newsgroup. Still, any help from here would be appreciated.

E.g. where is the DISPLAY variable set normally (when I log in as user1)? I'm using debian linux.

Pepijn Kenter.