Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste

From: josh buhl
Subject: Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:54:30 +0100

Harald Maier wrote:
I fear the character coding in mozilla differs from the emacs
encoding. What is the character coding in mozilla? You should find it
in mozilla under View -> Character Coding.

On the page I've been using for test purposes Mozilla says iso-8559-1, which emacs should be able to handle, but this has actually nothing to do with mozilla. It's a problem with how the text is being put in the x-windows systems clipboard and how emacs is reading it back out. Only emacs seems to have a problem with this. Running my usual C (en) locale, i can mark and copy this same german text back and forth between open office writer, gedit, kword, kedit, and even the ancient xedit. They all get the special characters properly, only Emacs barfs, and Emacs is otherwise (in my humble opinion) the most advanced editor in the world, but it can't seem to get a simple copy and paste right. What gives?

What about this other point of telling emacs what encoding to use for a buffer, and then not having the text change at all? Probably you're just telling it what format to use when it saves. What I'd like to see, is a command that tells emacs to reinterpret the buffer assuming that the encoding is different, so that, e.g., if I pick a chinese encoding and have entered ascii text, it should junk the screen, but if I've pasted in chinese text, and the buffer looks junked, then the chinese suddenly appears when selecting the correct encoding.

still frustrated ;-)
-jb