Re: Editing a file as root

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: Editing a file as root
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:07:47 +0100

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> Yes, this is what I was asking.  I just wanted to make sure that the
> problem wasn't with the server.  For example, servers are often set up
> to disallow remote logins to the root account.  (From a security
> standpoint, this is a very good idea.)

Well the "server" is actually the same local machine. So I guess that
even if remote login is disabled (not sure it is) it should not
interfere with local login from within emacs.
Or do i misunderstood and the /su::/some/path acts as a rlogin even on
local system ?

> Just a blind guess... perhaps tramp isn't recognizing the remote
> system's prompt.  In tramp.el is said:  "Recognition of the remote shell
> prompt is based on the variables `shell-prompt-pattern' and
> `tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' which must be set up correctly."

I will check for that.

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche