Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:43:01 +0100

On 17 Dec 2003 11:25:22 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

>> From: josh buhl <uzs33d@uni-bonn.de>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:19:46 +0100
>> >
>> > Does it help to say
>> >
>> >   C-x RET X utf-8 RET
>>
>> and C-x RET X iso-8859-1 RET doesn't work either.
>
> What do you get if you say
>
>   C-x RET X raw-text RET
>
> before pasting?  Please tell what characters are pasted into the Emacs
> buffer in this case.

Let me chime in here a bit late and note that I have a similar
problem. Pasting text selected in Mozilla will result in question
marks instead of umlauts in Emacs (no matter which C-x RET x
... setting I use). Likewise, I see the correct characters with Opera
or Konqueror, no matter which coding system I use.

> Also, if you can find some tool that will show you the contents of
> the X selection buffer after you cut/copy from a gtk2 application,
> please tell what does that tool show.  Perhaps by looking at the
> contents of the selection buffer we will be able to guess what kind
> of encoding is used.

Which tools would that be?

Edi.