Re: German keyboard key bindings?

From: Ulrich Neumerkel
Subject: Re: German keyboard key bindings?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:09:46 GMT

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>ulrich@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Ulrich Neumerkel) writes:
>
>> On German keyboards many important Emacs commands are not easily
>> accessible.
>
>But that's only until you configure your computer to have a US
>layout.  With Emacs' input methods I'm able to type " a to get รค, and
>I've never looked back.

Yes, I do this personally on my own machine.

But on places where You have no influence on the configuration
this is an impossibility.  Also many persons are simply used to the
German keyboard layout and will not change for the sake of Emacs.

What is needed is some way to refer portably in plain ascii to any character
in any other encoding.  I.e. something similar to kbd but including
character encoding.

When I nowadays M-x describe-bindings I see so many different encodings.
There should be also a way to refer to these keys in a portable
fashion.

--
Ulrich Neumerkel http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/