Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS

From: Pepijn Kenter
Subject: Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:41:56 +0100

gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
Of course everyone can set up their systems however they wish, but I use:

Of course. When saying the .bashrc isn't the proper place for setting the DISPLAY variable, I meant that at that time you can't know what value to set it to. From your (and Maurizio Loreti's) post I learned you can use the who command to find out. So thank you both.

export DISPLAY=$(who -lum|awk -F '(' '{print $2}'|awk -F ')' '{print $1}'):0

in my ~/.bashrc and have no problem logging in and/or running remotely
whatever X apps I want.

Because it would take a lot of thinking to hash out which is the correct file to put this in, whether the DISPLAY is a resource or not, whether...<snip>

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by resource in this context?

Pepijn.