Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste

From: josh buhl
Subject: Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:54:02 +0100

I had also sent this report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org  and received this:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [uzs33d@uni-bonn.de: gtk2, iso14755, pasting non-ascii characters, and the x-windows clipboard]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:15:39 +0900 (JST)
From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
To: rms@gnu.org
CC: uzs33d@uni-bonn.de, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, handa@m17n.org

In article <E1AWn7Q-0006EZ-Fs@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> Would you please investigate this?

Ok.

> From: josh buhl <uzs33d@uni-bonn.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
> To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
[...]
> Subject: gtk2, iso14755, pasting non-ascii characters,
>    and the x-windows clipboard
[...]
> Emacs has a problem pasting in text with non-ascii characters from any
> of the apps which are compiled with gtk2 (via marking with mouse, and
> inserting per mouse-2 click). Here's an example:

> I mark this text from a german webpage displayed in mozilla 1.5
> compiled with gtk2:

> "Soße wird in einer extra Soßenschüssel..."

> Paste it into my Emacs buffer and get this:

> "So\x{00DF}e wird in einer extra So\x{00DF}ensch\x{00FC}ssel..."

Actually, this should be the exact text Emacs received from
the gtk2 application, thus it seems that gtk2 has a bug in
producing COMPOUND_TEXT.

> Emacs inserts the text correctly when it has been marked in kword,
> kate, xedit, open office writer, or any other non-gtk2 app, and barfs
> if the same text has been marked in mozilla, gedit, or *any gtk+ 2*
> dialog like any of the gnome 2.4 dialogs. So I can mark a text in
> mozilla, paste it into xedit, _remark_ it and paste it into emacs, and
> it works, but if I don't remark, emacs barfs. If I mark the text in
> Emacs, then I can paste it correctly into any non-gtk2 app, but if I
> try to paste it into a gtk2 app, *nothing* gets pasted in.

> However, the gtk2 apps and the non-gtk2 apps aside from emacs, all
> seem to be able to paste this text in from each other properly. Only
> emacs has this problem.

Perhaps, that because the other apps use UTF8_STRING request
on selection (which is XFree86 extention) but Emacs 21.3
uses only COMPOUND_TEXT request (standard of X).  The latest
CVS version of Emacs supports UTF8_STRING.

> This behaviour is independent of what I've set LC_ALL to before
> starting emacs, but if I logout and login with default session
> language set to german, then all the pasting functions work properly.

???  Then, in what locale were you running gtk2 apps when
pasting didn't work?

> I'm sure this is related to this: ISO 14755 specifies using
> Ctrl+Shift+hex-digit to input unicode.  gtk2 implemented ISO 14755
> input method.

I'm sure this is not related to input method.

> The garbaged text corresponds exactly to the unicode hex encodings for
> the characters. for example the unicode hex encoding of ß is 00DF and
> emacs displays the pasted in ß as \x{00DF}. This certainly isn't a
> coincidence.

Emacs never generates such \x{.....} notation automatically.
So, the text should be generated on sender site.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org