Re: c-hanging-braces-alist customization shows no syntactic symbols

From: Stephanos Piperoglou
Subject: Re: c-hanging-braces-alist customization shows no syntactic symbols
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:03:41 +0200

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

It's in the CC Mode manual, page "Hanging Braces".  (I'm sure I don't
need to say this to you, but to get there, do C-h i   m cc mode
i hanging .)
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for (OK, actually it was c-offsets-alist that was the problem for me, but that was my bad :-), and your answer applies equally to that...)

Maybe, and almost certainly no.
I think what you're suggesting is that instead of this blank template:

  [ ] nil                 : Choice Newline [ ] before, [ ] after brace
, onto which you add the syntactic symbols you're interested in, you
should get a complete list of relevant syntactic symbols, something like:

[ ] brace-list-open     : [Choice] Newline [ ] before, [ ] after brace
[ ] brace-entry-open    : [Choice] Newline [ ] before, [ ] after brace
[ ] statement-cont      : [Choice] Newline [ ] before, [ ] after brace
Actually you *can't* add the syntactic symbols you're interested in, the 'nil' bit isn't editable! So this is definitely a bug, not a feature...

Anyway, as you said this applies to cc-mode and not emacs itself so I'll be off to their lists/CVS to see if I can find/request/hack a fix.

Thanks again.