Re: Mail Authentication

From: Harald Maier
Subject: Re: Mail Authentication
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:18:30 +0100

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> Finally I got emacs' mail working... to a degree.  I can send mail with
> it, but only to users on the same machine.  If I try to send outside
> (via my ISP), I get nothing.  That is to say, I know that emacs is
> connecting to the ISP and handing off the email, but it never gets
> delivered.  I suspect that the ISP is simply tossing it out due to lack
> of authentication from me.  I found a couple functions alleged to remedy
> that:
>
>      ;; Authenticate using this username and password against my server.
>      (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>            '(("hostname" "port" "username" "password")))
>      ;; Use STARTTLS without authentication against the server.
>      (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>            '(("hostname" "port" nil nil)))
>

> For "hostname" I don't know whether to fill in my (the local machine's)
> hostname (just the hostname or host.domain.com?) or that of my ISP, or
> the one in one function and the other in the second function.

Here an example that works (although it is in comments):

;; (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
;;     '(
;;      ("auth.mail.onlinehome.de" 25 "cc35217168-1" "xxxxxx")

The hostname is the system name of your provider smtp (outgoing)
mailserver.

> Also, I use a couple different email addresses (usernames and passwords)
> on the same ISP-- how would I handle that in (setq
> smtpmail-auth-credentials ...)?

I have not tried it by myself but I think if it is a valid user name
at your ISP then you should be able to use it.

Harald