Re: Quick deleting from a comma separated list

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Quick deleting from a comma separated list
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:06:56 +0000

Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:

> I have a question, is there an elegant and quick way to
> delete an item from a comma separated list.

It depends on what exactly is a comma separated list.  In the simplest
case, zap-to-char might do the trick well.  It is by default bound to
M-z, such that "M-z ," will delete from point to the next comma.

But of course, the "real" CSV format specifies that you can use quotes
to "hide" commas in values, such that

    foo, "foo, bar", baz

contains only three values, the first being "foo", the second being
"foo, bar", and the third being "baz".  I think the understanding is
that the quotes around a quoted value are removed.  There are some
weird conventions on quoting quotes.

If this is what you're seeing, then you might need a customized
method.  Please describe the problematic cases where zap-to-char might
fail in more detail.

Kai