Re: Forcing C++ to reformat

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Forcing C++ to reformat
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:57:46 +0000

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:12:57
-0800 (PST):

> I use emacs to edit C++ source files.  I've modified cc mode to format
> my code as I desire but I' run into a common problem.  Let's say I'm
> typing and I accidently forget to close a brace or a paren and then
> continue on coding.  The following code is (of course) formatted
> correctly according to what I actually typed but incorrectly according
> to what I meant to type :) Okay, so I discover the problem (say a
> missing close paren after an argument list) and go back and fix it.
> How can I force the buffer to be reformatted at this point?  I hope
> this makes sense as I'm not too hip to all the emacs lingo yet.  Thanks
> in advance for any replies.

C-c C-q will reindent the current function.

C-M-q will reindent the contents of a "sexp".  (i.e., put point on an
opening brace, and C-M-q will reindent the innards.)

C-M-\ will reindent the current region.  (The "region" is the bit of text
between "point" (the cursor) and the "mark" (where you last typed
C-<space> or started a search, or .......   To find where the mark
currently is, type C-x C-x.  Then type C-x C-x again to get back.  Lots
of things set the mark in Emacs.)

Hint:  In a C++ buffer, type C-h m.  This will give you a list of
C++-specific commands.  Wherever you see ESC <something> you can type
M-<something> instead.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter