emacs documentation for (La)TeX

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: emacs documentation for (La)TeX
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:13:49 -0600

I am thinking about trying to use Emacs' self-documenting features to
create some "native" documentation for LaTeX.  I'm thinking
about building this based on the TeX documentation being
made available at www.miwie.org

What I'm talking about is having something like this for each TeX
function:

(defun alph ()
"`\\alph{counter}'

This command causes the value of the `counter' to
be printed in alphabetic characters.  The `\\alph' command uses lower
case alphabetic alphabetic characters, i.e., `a, b, c...' while the
`\\Alph' command uses upper case alphabetic characters, i.e., `A, B,
C...'.")

There are certainly some problems here!

Upon defining the above "function" and hitting C-f h alph RET,
I see this:

alph is a Lisp function in `/Users/joe/site-lisp/JOESMACROS.elc'.
(alph)

`\alph{counter}'

This command causes the value of the `counter' to
be printed in alphabetic characters.  The `\alph' command uses lower
case alphabetic alphabetic characters, i.e., `a, b, c...' while the
`\Alph' command uses upper case alphabetic characters, i.e., `A, B,
C...'.

whereas, I 'd like to see something more like this:

alph is a TeX function in `<link to wherever alph is actually defined>'.
`\alph{counter}'

This command causes the value of the `counter' to
be printed in alphabetic characters.  The `\alph' command uses lower
case alphabetic alphabetic characters, i.e., `a, b, c...' while the
`\Alph' command uses upper case alphabetic characters, i.e., `A, B,
C...'.

Has ever tried to use Emacs' self-documenting features to document
another computer language?