Re: src/regex.c and src/regex.h ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: src/regex.c and src/regex.h ?
Date: 26 Dec 2003 14:44:12 +0100

Timur Aydin <ta@taydin.org> writes:

> When retrieving the CVS emacs sources, CVS issues the following message:
>
> cvs server: nothing known about emacs/src/regex.c
> cvs server: nothing known about emacs/src/regex.h
>
> I have looked at the repository using the CVS web interface and these
> two files show up as "unreadable". I had also tried (unsuccessfully)
> retrieving the sources from the CVSROOT's that were announced after
> savannah was cracked.
>
> Maybe the emacs developers made a decision to "prevent" people from
> building the CVS version of emacs by making these two vital files
> unreadable. This way, there is no possibility of an emacs with a
> trojan in it to proliferate until the developers verify all sources.
>
> I don't know, but I will keep trying...

But when in doubt, spread FUD.  Instead you could try checking the
emacs-devel list.  Those files can be checked out from the gnulib
project as gnulib/regex.h and gnulib/regex.c.  They are symbolic links
in the current Savannah repository for Emacs, but since the projects
are running in their own chroot jails by now, the symbolic links are
non-operable.  Discussion how to amend this best is still going on
(there is general agreement that allowing symbolic links to break the
chroot jails would pretty much defeat the purpose of the new setup),
but in the mean time, you can check them out from gnulib manually.
You'll need to put them in a different directory tree (as CVS is
directory oriented) and make symlinks yourself.

Or you can continue to spread silly conspiration theories and mope.

Take your pick.