Re: emacs cvs over ssh question

From: gebser
Subject: Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:43:36 -0500 (EST)

At 09:56 (UTC-0800) on Wed, 24 Dec 2003 M. Serkan Apaydin said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
=
= >At 11:10 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:
= >
= >= M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:
= >=
= >= > Kai Grossjohann wrote:
= >= >> Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
= >= >> for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
= >= >>
= >= >> Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
= >= >> you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
= >= >> then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
= >= >> $PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
= >= >> that out.)
= >= >
= >= > Thanks, but that does not seem to work. Changing .emacs file does not
= >= > change
= >= > the propensity of emacs to look for ssh-askpass in /usr/bin, and my path
= >= > lists
= >= > both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before running emacs (although /usr/bin
= >= > comes first).
= >=
= >= That's because the /usr/bin/ssh-askpass path has been hard-coded somewhere,
= >=
= >= either an executable or an Emacs Lisp file.
= >
= >This will depend upon the OS and, in the case of Linux, the
= >distribution.  On my system:
= >
= ># echo $SSH_ASKPASS
= >/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
= >
= >Seeing this and reading the askpass section of the ssh manpage and the
= >doc distributed with the package leads me to believe/guess that
= >ssh-askpass is used in an X (or other GUI) environment.  If you're
= >doing the emacs cvs call in a GUI, this could be the problem.  Try doing
= >it at the console-- i.e., go to runlevel 3 or, in X/Linux, do a
= >Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run it there.
= >
= >So which OS are you using?
= >
= >
= >
= I am running it on an SGI supercomputer. Typing
=  >uname
= IRIX64
=  > echo $SSH_ASKPASS
= SSH_ASKPASS: Undefined variable.

Do you have openssh installed?  Doing "whereis openssh" should tell you
and may even tell you where ssh-askpass is located.  If you haven't
updated the database in awhile, do updatedb first.

hth,
ken