Re: New to Emacs

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: New to Emacs
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:22:23 GMT

Stephen wrote:
I just downloaded Emacs 21.3 windows for Java development.
What directory do I put the .el files in?

In Emacs, when you hit
        C-h v
        load-path
where 'C' is your Control key, this shows the paths where Emacs will find *.el. A good choice would be similar to
C:\Program Files\Emacs21.3\site-lisp\

I have not been able to find a .emacs file in my Emacs directory.

Unless you are running w9x (use autoexec.bat instead) you should set your %HOME% environment variable using the system->advanced control panel.
You then create a new .emacs or _emacs file there.

You might wish to take a look at http://emacro.sf.net/ my project for new Emacs users. It has nice links to JDEE and EmacsWiki.org which provide many answers.