Problem with load-libraries on Emacs (Win98)

From: Rajat Jain
Subject: Problem with load-libraries on Emacs (Win98)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:44:17 -0800

I have used Emacs on Win2000 in the past and recently installed it on my Win98 system. The version is Emacs-20.7. On Win2000 version, I had defined some libraries (like my-keyboard.el) which I had saved in "site-lisp" directory under Emacs. These libraries, which defined some customized values for font, color, keyboard functions etc, were then "called" from the .emacs file at startup.

When I installed Emacs-20.7 on Win98, I copied the Win2000 .emacs to my "HOME" directory. Since I did not see  a site-lisp directory, I copied all my library files (.el) to C:\Emacs\lisp. I also tried to create a "site-lisp" directory parallel to lisp directory, but then Emacs would not even start.

However, now when I start emacs, it gives an error like "Error in init file: Symbol's function definition is void: global-hl-line-mode" and none of my customized libraries get loaded.

I can't figure out the reason. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.