Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console

From: joao
Subject: Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:40:27 +0100

Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
joao <joao@nospam.net> writes:

Any idea where I can fix this ?

Yeah. This is a problem with the keymap under VC:s not being
"complete" enough. Stuff to use to fix: loadkeys, dumpkeys.

Yo. Thanks, Martin, that was it.

Dumpkeys showed me the current keycode to symbol mapping, it was easy
to see that the Shift + Alt mappings are missing entirely, and also
that the simple Ctrl and Alt mappings are all wrong.

Apparently, this was originally a QWERTY map, where somebody only
bothered to fix the plain case plus the Shift one... so now I know
what I have to do, redo the entire map, fix Ctrl and Alt, add
Shift+Ctrl, Shift+Alt, Ctrl+AltGr, Alt+AltGr, ... I'll post the result
to some french newsgroup as a possible french keyboard mapping.

It's interesting to see how demanding emacs is, in terms of key
combinations :-)

Thanks everybody for the help.

Joao

--