Re: frames and reading of .emacs?

From: Jan Even Nilsen
Subject: Re: frames and reading of .emacs?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:56:53 +0100

Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
Jan Even Nilsen wrote:
BTW: The inclusion of the emacs related entry into a ~/.Xresources and
edit of these, did not help.

Resources in ".Xresources" aren't automatically activated (except on
some weird systems which confuse user-level app-defaults (which are
normally in .Xdefaults-`hostname`, or something like that)), but are
only loaded into the resource database when logging in via Xdm (or
similar). You probably need to do something along the lines of
"xrdb -merge .Xresources" to get any changes within a session.

Sorry, my fault. Did work after new login (or was it reboot?).

>>2) The changing of the face for the marked region is somewhat of a
puzzle, but I can live with it. It nags me that some function
overrides my settings, though.

Yes, that's weird. One possibility is to explicitly set the back-
ground color of the face. (set-face-background 'region "goldenrod").

Thanks, but unfortunately this did not help. At least now we can assume that it is a case of overriding and probably not failing to read the custom-set variable)

Even