Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 13 Jan 2004 19:19:44 +0200

> From: LEE Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:28:32 +0100
>
> I'm not sure if this is platform or X-server dependent.

How else can we explain the fact that I personally never saw this?

It could be application-specific, though (I mean the other apps,
those with which you are trying to exchange the text).

>     Eli> The only issue that comes to mind is that of non-ASCII
>     Eli> characters in the X selection: perhaps some of the other
>     Eli> applications encode selected text in a way that Emacs doesn't
>     Eli> understand/support, or use some X selection type that Emacs
>     Eli> didn't support (or still doesn't; you didn't say which
>     Eli> version you are using).
>
> Isn't the "ctext" sort of standard in X11R6?

No.  Newer versions of X and/or some applications use UTF-8 etc.

In addition, the type of the selection is a parameter: some
applications use UTF_STRING and other types, which Emacs didn't
support until very recently.