Re: elisp question: how to walk through a variable like special-display-

From: leo
Subject: Re: elisp question: how to walk through a variable like special-display-buffer-names
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:58:48 +1100

i couldn't find joakim's direct reply post, that's why i answer to klaus'
reply:

"Klaus Berndl" <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> wrote in message
uk73vlvct.fsf@sdm.de">news:uk73vlvct.fsf@sdm.de...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Joakim Hove wrote:
>

> >  leo <leo@bella.local> writes:
> >
> > >i want to walk through the list in special-display-buffer-names (and
> > >special-display-regexps), in order to find out if the left parameter is
> > >set in the contained alist.
> >
> >  Well,
> >
> >  I personally like (dolist) a lot:
>>
> >  (dolist (el list)
> >     ;; do something with el
> >     (let ((buffer (car el))
> >           (alist  (cdr el)))
> >      ;;
> >      ;; But then ...
> >      ;;
> >      ))

ok, i just hoped that there might be a function in emacs for that: emacs has
so many variables which contain lists of lists or regexps...

but thanks for the tip with dolist!

> >  I dont understand what you mean with 'contained alist' - but you might
> >  need the assoc function.

well, special-display-buffer-names can have the follwoing structure:

'( (name-of-buffer1 (parameter1 . value_a) (parameter2 . value_b) ...)
   (name-of-buffer2 (parameter1 . value_c) (parameter2 . value_d) ...)
   (name-of-buffer2 (parameter1 . value_e) (parameter2 . value_f) ...)
   ...)

and i want to pull out e.g. the value for parameter2 for a specific buffer
name, say name-of-buffer2 with a function i feed with the parameter-symbol
and the buffer-name.

cheers, leo