Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:40:01 +0100

    >> I'm not sure if ltrace can show the Xlib calls, though.

    Eli> I doubt that.  And debugging with ltrace or similar tools is
    Eli> not a very efficient method, anyway, compared to stepping
    Eli> with GDB thru the source code.  IMHO, ltrace is for the
    Eli> software to which you don't have the sources.

I don't agree.

Firstly, 'ltrace' doesn't require the program to be required.  So, you
can use it  immediately.  No downloading of the  source code.  No time
wasted on compiling.

Secondly, 'ltrace' let's you trace  the behaviour of your program at a
different  level.  That can  often reveal  what it  has done  (on that
level)  more   clearly,  because   you're  not  flooded   with  excess
information.  (I  did 'strace' some  programs to check  which syscalls
they  make,  and  in what  sequence.   That  can  be very  helpful  in
identifying problems  when you suspect  that the sequence of  calls is
not in  the correct order, which  you once assumed.   'strace' lets me
see more clearly how the program interacts with the OS.)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de