Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:34:36 +0100

    >> From: LEE Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
    >> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:28:32 퍝
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if this is platform or X-server dependent.

    Eli> How else can we explain the fact that I personally never saw
    Eli> this?

Different usage patterns?  Do  you often cut&paste text between Emacs,
xterm and Mozilla?  I do it very very very often.

    Eli> It could be application-specific, though (I mean the other
    Eli> apps, those with which you are trying to exchange the text).

I  could be,  but I'd  say  it's unlikely.   Emacs quite  consistently
behave  like  that,  whether   I'm  using  xterm,  Mozilla,  Netscape,
GTK-based  things, etc.   And the  other apps  simply  cut&paste among
themselves happily without problems.  Emacs is the odd man here.

And I would  assume that xterm has been  programmed correctly, because
it's such a classical apps. that is so heavily used.  Perhaps I should
try also 'xedit', which uses the classical Athena widget set, which is
a sort  of "reference" implementation  of an application using  X, Xt,
Athena and X11.

    Eli> The only issue that comes to mind is that of non-ASCII
    Eli> characters in the X selection:

I seldom cut&paste non-English  non-ASCII non-text stuff between xterm
and Emacs.  I'm sure that 99%  of the time that I encounter this Emacs
misbehaviour,  I'm  trying  to  cut&paste purely  ASCII  text.   URL's
(already URL-encoded) being a non-negligible portion of it.

    Eli> perhaps some of the other applications encode selected text
    Eli> in a way that Emacs doesn't understand/support, or use some X
    Eli> selection type that Emacs didn't support (or still doesn't;
    Eli> you didn't say which version you are using).

Unlikely.  See above.

    >> Isn't the "ctext" sort of standard in X11R6?

    Eli> No.  Newer versions of X and/or some applications use UTF-8
    Eli> etc.

Too bad that they don't follow the "standard".

But I've  tried also (set-clipboard-coding-system  'utf8).  It doesn't
work    with    Mozilla     when    I    cut&paste    Chinese    text.
(set-clipboard-coding-system  'iso-8859-1) does  make  Emacs cut&paste
German text from Emacs properly.  But  most of the time, I leave Emacs
with its default (i.e. using 'ctext' for the cut&paste).

    Eli> In addition, the type of the selection is a parameter: some
    Eli> applications use UTF_STRING and other types, which Emacs
    Eli> didn't support until very recently.

I  think xterm  always  uses SELECTION.   xterm  doesn't even  support
Unicode, let alone UTF-8.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de