Re: emacs -nw and accented characters

From: Joel Smith
Subject: Re: emacs -nw and accented characters
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:52:43 GMT

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: Joel Smith <joelvsmith@earthlink.net>
> > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:17:55 GMT
> >
> > i use emacs 21.3 and i thought i'd try to use
> >
> > aterm -tr -e emacs -nw &
> >
> > to get transparent version of emacs.  the only problem is that
> > accented characters in the emacs show up garbled, but in aterm they
> > appear fine.  in the standard X version accented characters are fine
> > as well.  is there anything i can do to see the accented characters?
>
> Try setting the terminal coding system (C-x RET t) to something
> sensible.

The coding system is iso-latin-1-unix.  the same coding system is used
in the emacs running X.  perhaps it would be better if i included an
accented character...

essayez de voir ceci ça et là...

now try to look at this message running emacs in an X session and with
emacs -nw   if anyone can make the latter work, please let me know how
it's done.