Re: Creating X-window frame from Emacs in TTY

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: Creating X-window frame from Emacs in TTY
Date: 19 Jan 2004 10:12:53 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:50:37 -0700
> >
> > See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00019.html
> >

> > I don't know if that's been committed in CVS Emacs, though.
>
> It wasn't.

I hope it will be soon (is there any chance?), because I think it is a
really important feature.  My use for it would be the following.  On my
office computer, I start Emacs in terminal mode from within a 'screen'
session, open an X window and detach the screen session.  Then, within
Emacs, I start a long computation in an inferior Lisp buffer (Common Lisp).
At home or from somewhere else, I want to look at the state of this
computation while being connected via a slow telephone line.  This is now
easy by logging in and attaching to the screen session.

Of course, also reading mail from home is an obvious application.  In every
case, one would have both the comfortable X interface and the terminal
mode, if the connection is slow.

Nicolas.