Re: Question on using emacs to write html

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Question on using emacs to write html
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:18:34 +0100

TM> Jeff <jeffrey@cunningham.net> writes:
>> I've been programming so long using emacs that other key bindings
>> drive me crazy. Lately I've been writing html using emacs because
>> bluefish uses the Microsoft bindings. Is there a way to bind keys
>> to the insertion of common toggle pairs, like <center></center>,
>> way to have this work only in an 'html mode'?

TM> Try "html-helper-mode" which works like a charm.  It has a menu
TM> (with associated key bindings) for most tags and such.  You can
TM> even select a string and html-helper-mode will place the opening
TM> and closing tags in their proper places.  Trick!

When it works well it's all Nelson Minar's credit!

TM> The only trouble I've had- and it's *really* minor- is that it
TM> spends a bit of time fontifying files, not much of a problem
TM> except on big files.  html-helper-mode colors tags and text very
TM> nicely and it's easy to see the structure of the document.  I
TM> haven't tried it with jit-lock or lazy-lock, which might speed up
TM> that fontifying.

Hmmm... Calling it *really* minor  is a BIG kindness. I still consider
html-helper-mode a  kluge (RMS kindly  said that some things  could be
done in an easier way...)

Anyway,  the  latest released  version  is  available  (should be)  at
http://www.nongnu.org/baol-hth/index.html while the  project url is at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/baol-hth/

(baol is the logname I use when saint is not available)

WARNING!

Under Emacs  21 html-helper-mode is  known to hang Emacs  with certain
(JSP/ASP/PHP) files.

Consider server-side code fontification as "broken" under Emacs 21 and
this trouble could happen with  multiline blocks. I fear that the code
is too slow to finish the job before the jit starts it again.

Disabling JIT could be an UGLY workaround.

Work is  in progress to fix  it, actually the CVS  version on savannah
works  except some  features (like  tag  attributes -  namely all  the
font-lock-keywords stuff) are lost and doesn't highlight the last tag.

My apologies.

  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/