Problem with Emacs Info and gzipped files on Cygwin

From: eMaXer
Subject: Problem with Emacs Info and gzipped files on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:16:08 GMT

Hi, I am using NTEmacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1) on Windows XP, and Cygwin
1.5.5-1. When I try to use Emacs Info, if the info file is gzipped an
error message window pops up with the following message :

"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0726 IP:ffd8 OP:fe ff 00 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The message window has the title "16 bit MS DOS Subsystem".

The error happens in the function call-process-region. The following code
produces the same error:

(call-process-region (point-min) end-of-gzipped
       "gunzip" t t nil)

(here between point-min and end-of-gzipped I have some text compressed with
gzip)

When I use info from the Cygwin command line it works fine.

Can anyone help?

--
In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was in a buffer,