Re: windows make

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: windows make
Date: 27 Jan 2004 00:47:11 +0000

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

> >> I am trying to install JDE, but I need a pre-compiled windows NT GNU Make.
> >> Does anyone know where I can find one?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com

Cygwin is a poor choice of GNU make for compiling non-Cygwin programs
with non-Cygwin compilers. The reason make in particular needs to be
a native Windows program and not live in the Cygwin fantasy world
where everything looks like Unix, is that make's sole purpose is to
run external programs with filenames as arguments.  Passing
"/cygdrive/c/site-lisp/jde.el" to Emacs on a Windows platform is not
going to get the result that the original poster wants.