Re: copy-face seems to work only for current frame

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: copy-face seems to work only for current frame
Date: 27 Jan 2004 15:51:59 +0100

    Eli> I think the above fails because it is evaluated after _loading_
    Eli> woman.elc, and at that point, the new frame where the WoMan buffer is
    Eli> to be displayed does not yet exist.  The new WoMan frame is created
    Eli> only when woman.elc's code _runs_, not when it is _loaded_.  So
    Eli> copy-face indeed copies the face definition into all the existing
    Eli> frames, but the WoMan frame is created only afterwards.

I don't understand this. I thought woman.el creates (via defface) the face
woman-bold-face as soon as it gets loaded, then eval-after-load
copies another face into woman-bold-face and that should be it.
And I was so naive to think that this face would be used now in new
frames too. Why not? From the documentation of copy-face I don't see
why this doesn't do it.

    Eli> Why don't you simply customize woman-bold-face?  That's what one is
    Eli> supposed to do in such cases, you know ;-)

Mostly habit I guess and then I have hundreds of autoloads and
eval-after-loads in my .emacs.el. And I have them where and when I want them
whereas customize keeps everything intermingled together and executes
everything when I start emacs.
But I don't want to start a discussion about customize, it's certainly
a good thing to have and (since about half a year) I've started to use it
every once in a while.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
The average income of the modern teenager is about 2AM.