Re: What does the coding system nil mean?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What does the coding system nil mean?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:33:38 GMT

> Is this a matter of taste or does nil belonging to multiple data types
> cause problems somewhere (debugging programs, compiler/intepreter
> construction, whatever)?

It does not cause any particular problem, no.
It's just considered unclean by some.  It can definitely surprise people
that (symbolp ()) is true.  In some cases it's annoying: one example
off the top of my head is (intern-soft "nil").

In a sense, it's similar to whether or not chars and integers should
be distinguishable.

        Stefan