Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps
Date: 29 Jan 2004 08:04:54 +0200

> From: paulgor@compuserve.com (Paul Gorodyansky)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 28 Jan 2004 11:40:13 -0800
>
> To see Windows code page I use 2 things:
> a) go to Console and type
>    chcp
> it returns OEM code page, say 850 and thus I know that
> Windows code page is 1252 :)
> MS has all that listed:
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/cphome.mspx
>
> b) have my own 2-line C program that calls GetACP()
>    and puts it on screen :) so I can see
>    "System Code Page: 1252"

It turns out my wording was inaccurate and thus misleading.  What I
wanted to see was what codepage was used to encode the characters.
You seem to be assuming that this codepage is always identical to the
system codepage, but that is not really true, at least not on Windows
XP.  Try copying into the clipboard Cyrillic characters from the
Explorer on a non-Cyrillic Windows machine, and you will see that
CF_TEXT is encoded in cp1251 even though the system codepage is
something different.

> As for characters and their Unicode codepoints:
> a) Start/Run - charmap - and I can see a Unicode # for
>    each symbol
> b) http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr24/charts/index.html

Sure, there are lots of places where Unicode codepoints of the
characters are listed, but what I wanted to know is how does Windows
encode them in the clipboard.  It turns out they use the 16-bit
Unicode codepoints, at least for the BMP.  (Out of curiosity: do you
or anyone else know how does Windows encode characters outside the
BMP?  Is it UTF-16 or something else?)