getting output from external process in a variable

From: Daan Hoogland
Subject: getting output from external process in a variable
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:02:36 +0100

H all,

I'm doing some application programming in elisp. I read /etc/group with grep and edit the temporary buffer with results. now I end up with groupname:member1,member2 and I want it in a list:
(list "groupname" (list "member1" "member2"))
now I can edit the buffer to cantain the lisp expression and then evaluate it like:
(set 'var (list "groupname" (list "member1" "member2")))
and use var. But I was wondering wether there was somewhere maybe an api that can set a var to a region in the current buffer directly.

Am I understanding emacs and lisp here?
Is there maybe a better/quicker solution?

Is there such a function that could for instance read-list-from-text from start to end with delimiters?
Or one that can just take text and put it in a variable?

Any comment appreciated.

D.A.A.N.