Re: can't global-set-key in emacs -nw

From: Peter Heslin
Subject: Re: can't global-set-key in emacs -nw
Date: 1 Feb 2004 14:57:02 -0800

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
news:<jwvad427nhg.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@asado.iro.umontreal.ca>...
> Once your terminal emulator is properly configured you need to tell Emacs
> what that seuqnce is by appropriate (define-key function-key-map ...) calls.
> See lisp/term/xterm.el for some default settings used if your terminal
> is xterm.  The same terminal emulator may send different sequences
> depending on the configuration, so there's no standard sadly.

Assuming the user has not changed any escape sequences via resources
settings, is this still really the case?

On my (Debian x86) system, xterm and gnome-terminal (which gives $TERM
as "xterm") seem to agree on a quasi-standard set of escape sequences
for function-keys modified by shift, control, alt, shift-control and
shift-alt, all of which are distinct.  But in term/xterm.el, only the
unmodified function-key escapes are translated.  Is there a good
reason for this absence?  Are the escape sequences for modified
function-keys in fact different in xterm from system to system?  Is it
really true that life is messier than it seems on my system?

I am aware that the escape sequences for rxvt and rxvt-derived
terminal emulators are completely different, but again term/rxvt.el
translates some of these -- including control-modified function keys
-- but not all, such as shift-control modified function-keys.  Again,
is there a good reason for this omission?

Peter