Re: Setting gdb to use eshell buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Setting gdb to use eshell buffer
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:23:03 GMT

> Well, my original plan was to allow multiple connections.  Then each
> connection could be dedicated to a single compilation, until that
> compilation is finished.

That's probably the easiest and more robust way to do it.

> If two (remote) processes are writing to the same *tramp/foo* buffer,
> it is nearly impossible to tell the chunks apart later.  At least I
> haven't found a way to do that.  But if there was a way, multiplexing
> a single *tramp/foo* buffer might be the way to go.

I'm sure it's possible, but it's probably also very painful to do,
especially in the context of Tramp (you'd probably have to either require
users install some multiplexing program on the server's end or write it in
Perl and transmit it, but it's likely to be a large piece of code).

It might be easier to think of it as a tramp-server, which you'd run in
place of a bourne shell.  Maybe it's not a bad idea.

        Stefan