Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions

From: nospam55
Subject: Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:36:48 +0100

> What happens if you run this command:
>
> LC_ALL=C man bash > bash.man
>
> Are there still non-ASCII characters in the bash.man file?

unfortunately with

  $ LC_ALL=C man bash > bash.man

I get in bash.man the same funny ^H etc chars as before; moreover, I have from
many weeks

  $ echo  ${!LC*}
  LC_COLLATE
  $ declare -p LC_COLLATE
  declare -x LC_COLLATE="C"

> The `man foo` command is basically equivalent to:
>

> nroff -man /usr/man/man?/foo.? | ${PAGER:more}
>

> It works because your terminal interprets the backspace and various escape
> sequences that nroff outputs.`

This suggestion seems to be important, I will try using it and will let you
know

    nospam55