Re: global-set-key not global?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: global-set-key not global?
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:00:12 +0100

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> C-j is LFD so I can understand why Emacs might treat it specially (and
> presumably C-m aka RET).  But what is the significance of M-j?

No, it does not have to do with the fact that C-j happens to be LFD.
It has to do with the fact that the default binding of C-j is
newline-and-indent, and that function should indent correctly in all
modes, by way of the indent-line-function variable.

M-j is bound to indent-new-comment-line by default, which reads some
variables to learn how to make a comment.  So the fix is to set the
variables so that the comment comes out right, rather than to change
the keybinding.

(Compare M-; which is comment-dwim in all modes, regardless of comment
syntax.  You don't have comment-latex, comment-c, comment-pascal, ...)

Kai